1977-2011

1977
The Georgia Trust receives Hay House and stock valued at $96,000 from the P.L. Hay Foundation
House1970
1978
Restoration planning begins.
1980
Exterior restoration begun by Chris R. Sheridan & Company.
1981
Restoration of exterior woodwork and masonry completed by Chris R.Sheridan & Company.
1984
Weather-proofing of windows.
1985
Biltmore-Campbell-Smith study of decorative finishes on main floor.
1986
Site improvements: new sewer, storm and roof drains, underground utilities, parking area.
1988
Restoration of stained-glass panels in dining room door completed.
1990
Restoration of historic finishes in Music Room completed.
1991
Conservation and restoration of the entrance hall completed.
MarbleHallAfter
1992
Rehabilitation of kitchen/loggia completed, including installation of public and handicapped-accessible restrooms.
1993
Paint analysis begins on second floor by Frank Welsh; analysis of paint in master bedroom suite completed.
1994
Completed capital campaign to fund restoration and endowment, exceeding the one million dollar goal. Georgia General Assembly appropriates $50,000 to Hay House.
First phase of archaeological investigation of the site conducted.
1995
Georgia General Assembly appropriates $75,000 to Hay House. Selected for $445,600 in Transportation Enhancement Activities funding as part of Federal ISTEA Program for continuing restoration. A required local match of $111,400 was raised for a total of $557,000 for the project.
1996
Restoration/research begins in Reception Room as part of ISTEA funded project; discovery includes Johnston/Felton era decorative painting.
ReceptionRoom
2000
Conservation Assessment Program studies for the building and the collections are completed by consultants through a Heritage Preservation grant (Institute of Museum & Library Services).
2001
Macon architects Jelks, McLees & Boggs are contracted to develop plans for the ISTEA project.
2002
IFACS artisans restore Hay period decorative finishes, walls, and ceiling in Reception Room, conserving the nineteenth- century murals and leaving the entire wall exposed as a witness to its earlier decorative scheme during the Johnston and Felton periods.
2003
Chris R. Sheridan awarded contract to replace the metal roof on the main Hay House structure and the metal roof on the cupola. L.E. Schwartz & Son roofing contractors handled the roof replacement.
The project also included replacing the building’s guttering and downspout system, waterproofing and repairing the balustrades on the third-floor balcony and cupola levels and reroofing a small balcony off the music room on the second level.
The project was funded by $445,600 in federal transportation enhancement funds (ISTEA) and a required local match of $111,400 raised by Hay House. Additional funds provided by grants and fundraisers were used to repair the balustrades and columns on the main level front porch, the frieze board over the front porch, and partially restore the cupola interior.
RoofRestoration
2005
Chris R. Sheridan & Company awarded contract to make all exterior plaster, wood, and metal repairs and paint the exterior of the house. Painting and plaster repairs handled by subcontractor A.T. Long & Son Painting Contractors.
2005
In May, IMLS grant received to correct moisture problems. The grant was matched by Hay House for a total project cost of $60,000.
2005
Work underway to complete the main level reception room restoration by early December.
DiningRoomAfter
2007
Successful seven million dollar Hay House Capital Campaign completed. Funds to be used for restoration and ongoing maintenance.
2010
Restoration of the Dining and Living Rooms begin.
2011
Restoration of the Dining and Living Rooms completed. The Dining Room was restored to the late Johnston era (c.1870-90). The Living Room was restored to the late Hay era (1926-62), using a color photograph dating 1962 as a guide.
2011
Restoration of the Dining and Living Rooms receives preservation award from Historic Macon Foundation.